Translate

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I got a Happy Father's Day letter from the President of the United States Sunday. Did you get yours?

I got a "Happy Father's Day" email letter from a very unlikely source Sunday--the President. Yes, I did say from the President--of the United States. Did you get one? Apparently, Barack and I are on good enough terms that he feels comfortable sending warm messages to one of the more conservative people on the planet, and one who battles against most everything he does on Constitutional grounds. It's just an example of respecting our differences, I'm sure.

I would have been more generous in sharing the warm greetings with you on Sunday, had I wanted to ruin your Father's Day. I recognize some of my friends are liberal--quite liberal. But I am pretty confident that all, or nearly all of you would have thought this Sunday's greeting was in pretty poor taste. Some of you may have argued that it was nothing more than any other President would have done--Republican or Democrat; so, so what? Except that I have never gotten an email "Happy Father's Day" greeting from any past president of the United States, to say nothing of one that half way down the letter starts to propagandize about a program for absent fathers and giving away free tickets to “Pops” everywhere to take their kids to the zoo and the symphony.

To top it off, Barry invited me to sign his Fatherhood Pledge. Right. I'm a single woman. I suppose I should be impressed, flattered, and obligated to sign the "Pledge". But I am wondering why Barry didn't just cut to the chase and ask me to go phishing with him Sunday.

I see that I have another message from the White House today.

No comments: